Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Durch die Ruhe

Durch die Ruhe


Listen.
Can you hear
the incessant
metrical pulse?

It permeates the
deafening
silence.

Piercing my soul
like the sharp
sensation
of a gun
conquering a tender young earlobe.

The pain, quickly subdued
but the memory, everlasting.
Like the aural soundscape surrounding us.
That persistent rhythm.
More complicated
than the ticking
of a clock
or a room
full of machinery.
Yet, as melodious and comforting
as a freshly-composed symphony.

Life has no melodic structure,
only a rhythmic pattern
repeated over
and over,
until you reach the final
cadence.

4 Comments:

At April 13, 2006 2:36 PM, Blogger duffy said...

I think you have done abit too much composition over the holidays!

 
At April 13, 2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

I've read this poem a few times now
I take it - 'Durch die Ruhe'
is - Do not disturb
I like this line
'Like the aural soundscape surrounding us'
perhaps - permeating -would be better in the second verse.

 
At April 14, 2006 12:57 AM, Blogger ThePoet said...

Duffy - You're so right!!

Jimmy - Thank you, I really like that line too actually :)
I'll have a think about "permeating", it's such a powerful word here.

Oh and the title, "Durch die Ruhe" means "Through the Silence"!

 
At April 21, 2006 12:27 PM, Blogger duffy said...

More please!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home